Thursday, August 8, 2013

What do you do when there's no Maple Syrup?

We don't eat a lot of pancakes or French toast, but when we do we love to smother them with Maple Syrup. Unfortunately, you can get any real Maple Syrup or fresh honey here in Pearl Lagoon and so when we made some French toast the other day we had to find an alternative.

Since we do have some awesome brown sugar that comes in blocks I decided to look for a recipe that features it. I looked at a couple of recipes but decided to try the one posted at Group Recipes by Tuilelaith because it contains butter and vanilla which I thought would make it taste better. The recipe took no time at all to make and the taste was good. However, the next time I make it I think I will increase the amount of butter. Also, I don't think I cooked it long enough because we prefer a thicker syrup - but we were hungry and in a hurry!




I found the recipe at Group Recipes posted by Tuilelaith. You can find it and others here: Brown Sugar Syrup

Brown Sugar Syrup
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup water
How to make it


  • Put brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan.
  • Melt together.
  • Add vanilla and water.
  • Heat on medium/high heat until it boils.
  • Turn down a touch and boil for 5 minutes.